Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I have a good excuse!

Mary and her friend, Libby, are visiting and we have been busy. Do I really have to say more? Have you had 2 teenage shoppers in the house before? They also like other things.
Saturday we drove to Cordele, GA., which is the 1/2 way point between Knoxville and Merritt Island. We left about 7a and got there about 1p. Only had 1 traffic hold up, so can't really complain. We got there within 15 minutes of the time Sheila did. Sheila, Michelle, Mary, Libby, Don and I had lunch and were able to spend about an hour together. Sheila and Michelle headed South and we headed North.
I tried and tried to talk Don into stopping and spending the night somewhere. But he was "feeling fine" and could drive all the way back. We got in around 9p. We did stop for a quick bite to eat around 6p. Had some excitement there when the sheriff had to come and contain an unruly man. The poor man has some mental problems (I guess you could call a steel plate in your head a problem), and just got too excited. His family was wonderful about apologizing and explaining. They were doing the very best they could.
We all slept well that night and got up for early service on Sunday. (It may have been just a little tricky staying awake) Mary remembered where the teens met and they went to that class. Afterwards we had lunch at Greene Hills Grille (yum). Then we drove out to Mrs. Chandlers and met Apryl there. It was a nice visit and she really enjoyed seeing the girls.
Monday was kind of a down day. I think everyone was pretty tired still. We all went to McKay's Used Books, CD's, etc. that morning. That was great, we spent about 1-1/2 hrs. there and everybody got great stuff. The girls got a computer game that keeps them so busy that in the evenings we hardly see them. The girls and I did get to go to a thrift shop in the afternoon. Later I went to the gift shop for my volunteer work. Don took the girls and turned them loose on, er, in the mall. They loved it, of course.
Tuesday we packed a lunch and headed for the mountains. We went to Wartburg (who would name a town after warts?) and to the "Wild and Senic Obed River". Just awesome scenery; especially for Libby, as she had not been to the mountains before. Once we got to a place with a parking lot, we stopped and they headed to the river. Thank you, I might have made it down that steep hill, but I knew I wouldn't make it up! I was car-guard (like that was necessary).
The water was pretty cold, but that didn't stop the girls. In they went. Don took pictures which I will try to post later. We drove up to the overlook and, wow! the view was fantastic. The girls then took off on another trail not realizing that it would lead them down to the area where we had just been for them to swim. They liked the hike.
It was WAY too hot to picnic! Everybody ate an apple and we traveled on. We went to Rugby, TN and immediately headed for the cafe! The food was wonderful and, no, I don't think it was just that we were very hungry. But it was 2pm. We drove them around Rugby a little pointing out the church, library, etc. and the gift shop.
For those who don't know. Rugby is a small town founded in 1880 by a Brit as an experiment in communial living. Everyone had their own house, but all goods were shared and/or bartered.
Most of the buildings are now on the historical register. The homes are still live in; actually all the buildings are still in use. A few have had to be replaced, but are built to original specs. Anyway, it is an interesting and pretty place. I am sure you can look it up on the internet.
We came dragging home and everyone slept good another night.
Well, I have taken enough of your time. Thanks for reading.
(((Hugs))) and God Bless
ps. Don did decide he was wrong and should have stopped. Being over 35, he discovered he just can't hold up like he did a year or two ago. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat!
You didn't take NEARLY enough of my time! I love reading your blog and look forward to the pictures taken of the girls and the scenery! How long will the girls be with you?
Take care and make it a fun day!
Love and hugs to all :)