Thursday, September 13, 2007

We're Back!

It was such a lovely trip and we were so busy. Now that all one of you is clamoring for an update, let me get started.
Friday morning, we did not set an alarm ;) We did get up and get downstairs for continental breakfast. They had a nice spread. We ate with our friends from Memphis, Helen Chandler and her daughter, Christine. It was good to catch up with them. Helen's husband just retired and they are building a house in Fayette County, TN, so they will be away from the city.
Traveling man and I headed into downtown Gettysburg to see some sights. We went to the Lincoln Train Museum. You knew it would have something to do with trains, didn't you? It was amazing. There is a huge room full of model trains, including a working layout. Each train is identified and history is given. It would take a long time to read all the information. There is a similated train ride with Lincoln to Gettysburg. It is pretty realistic and fun to do.
Then it was time to head back to the hotel for lunch. We ate with some more Chandlers who are from Richmond. We met them last year also. It was very enjoyable.
After lunch was more time for sharing information with others. There was a lot of books, etc. from research that has been done and I got hold of several looking for information. We have traveling man's lineage back to 1610, but I was getting hold of some of the stories connected with our ancestors and how they lived. I still have to sort out what I copied, but I think I have some relating to Chandlers in the Revolutionary War. In talking with the president of the association, Glen Chandler, I found he is the Director of the Music Dept. at the other UT, Texas. I kept giving him a hard time that we were from the REAL UT - Tennessee. He was a good sport about it. He had to be - the job he just left was at U. of Memphis!
Later we all went to dinner at the Dobbin House Restaurant. We had such fun - and good food. We sat with Helen and Christine again plus 2 other couples, one of which was Glenn and Jo, the ones from the other UT. After dinner we had a Ghost Tour of Gettysburg. It was pretty fun as we had an interesting guide. Unfortunately the ambiance was somewhat ruined by the high school football game. It was pretty noisy, but Gettysburg High won by 20 points. There was quite a loud group leaving the stadium.
It was 10:30 by the time we got back to the car, so we headed back to the hotel and to bed.
Saturday is another reunion day. Later.
God Bless

No comments: