Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Picture Pause

Thought I would update since we got back to Knoxville. It's been busy. Not sure exactly what has been done, but busy. I have volunteered at the gift shop several days. They are always needing extra help since many volunteers do not work in the summer. We have had the junior volunteers (h.s. students) start and it has been fun training them. Not having had any boys, I didn't realized how early men start being men. You know, things we do and they just kind of look blank. Was training one young man to run the register and he did ok, but I was having trouble convincing him that you have to actually tell the people how much they owe you. Unless they are checking to make sure they get the sale price, few people actually look at the register display. Every single time he had to be reminded to talk to the customer. Arrg. Then, then, he got their change out of the drawer and shoved it at them. Arrg no. 2. No, no, tell them the amount of change they get and count it out to them. So he counted it, laying it on the counter closer to him than the customer, so the customer had to reach for it. Arrg no. 3. He is tall, so we had him working on the high shelves and hanging stuff from the ceiling grid. As long as he doesn't run the register, he is fine. Nice young man, but no clue about customer service. I think we should just keep him away from the registers, don't you?
Nita, Brenda and I ate at the Copper Celler last week (late celebration of my birthday). We had their awesome strawberry shortcake! It took them almost 15 minutes to get our desert out to us. We were wondering if they were just now growing the strawberries - not really, we were enjoying ourselves. We did notice that it took extra long, but didn't say anything to the waitress. When the waitress brought the bills, she had talked to the manager because of the delay, so we got the shortcake free! How cool is that? She got a pretty good tip too.
Here at home we are trying to clean out the house and get rid of as much as we can. it is slow going. Just didn't know how much we had accumulated. But I guess everyone can say that. Nita came by and relieved us of some stuff. Thank you!
Saturday evening we went to Harriman TN for the Cruising. Nothing to do with Tom Cruise, just old cars. Actually very nice old cars from the 50's & 60's. Sort of like we saw in Ocean City. Now you would think that walking down the middle of the street in the heat would be tiresome. You would be right! I mean, come on, pavement just radiates heat. But I love my hubby, so I did it. It was pretty interesting and I like to people-watch. Don took another gazillion pictures of course. We were tired when we got back home.
Sunday we had a luncheon for the new preacher and youth minister. It was well attended and the food was good. Laurel has some awesome cooks. Sometimes I wonder if that is a prerequiste to belonging to a congregation. "Are you and/or your spouse good cooks? No? Well are you willing to learn? Yes? You are welcome here." (Just funnin.)
At our table was a precious boy, Carter, who is 1 year old. He started walking about 10 days ago and Mom & Dad are finding out what that means in public. Luckily, they are not overprotective parents since there are lots of children that love watching over little ones.
Sunday night was discussion groups and we had a good one. Enjoyed listening to people reminiscing about those that helped them as youngsters to learn about the Christian life.
Monday I was back at work at Dale Carnegie. I spent 5 hours hand-addressing envelopes. On Thursday I get to do it again. See what an exciting job I have!!
I am going to try and update more often (get the yawns ready) because I am sure I have forgotten something either exciting or profound that happened of the last several days. I know you would not want me to do that. Everybody nod yes.
Love and (((hugs)))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This silly computer doesn't have a nod button - whats up with this?!

I loved spending those "moments" of your day with you. Thank you for sharing. You have an interesting life and a great way of telling about it.

Now you did eat a spoonful of that strawberry shortcake for me, didn't you?

Love and hugs,
Mellan :)