Thursday, December 6, 2007

Folkston

So, we went to Folkston, GA to see the trains. Folkston is known (to train enthusiasts) as "The Funnel" because of the number of trains that ordinarily run thru there daily. And sure enough, we got there in time to see 3 trains go thru, bang, bang, bang. Then we waited for about 30 - 45 minutes and no more showed up. You know what we did then, don't you? Right, we went to lunch at the Oceechobee Restaurant. They had a very good buffet.

Then it was back to the railroad tracks. TM and his camera got out and started watching the tracks for more trains. Actually, there is a platform there to watch from and has a loudspeaker so you can hear the control yard speaking to whomever. But since you can hear the loudspeaker from quite a ways, TM could go across the tracks or down the tracks and still hear. He also spent time talking to other men there to watch.

After an hour or so, Traveling dog and I got out of the truck and took a little walk ourselves. Only about 10 minutes, but it refreshed us.

By 4 pm no more trains had come thru because of work on the tracks. TM was ready to give up, but I was busy with a project and didn't want to put it down yet, so I made him stay longer (break his heart!).. It turns out I did him a favor because within a few minutes the track work stopped and trains started coming thru. I am not sure how many, but there were several. I guess they had been stacked up waiting. TM was one happy little boy.

Traveling man did not feel the day was wasted because he got to watch the heavy equipment working on the tracks. There were machines like he had never seen (imagine that). Where the tracks had sagged, they were being lifted and rocks put under them. He was pretty fascinated by it all and couldn't wait to e-mail his friend with some pictures.

The following day, here at the campground there was a couple getting ready to go to Folkston so TM was able to tell them to wait until evening in order to see the most trains.



Merry Christmas and God Bless

No comments: