Sunday, December 2, 2007

A night at the opera

Woodbine is a small, small town. At least what we saw of it Friday night. We need to go back during daylight.
Anyway, we read about the Friday night happenings and decided we needed to go to the Woodbine Opry! Oops, did I say opera in the title? Sorry about that. Amazingly enough there is a Woodbine Opry. It is held each Friday and Saturday night at the old high school auditoium. Don't know when this school was built, but they didn't have many students because the auditorium was small. That just made the acoustics better though.
So the Opry is a group of people who like to make music. Acoustic instruments and blue grass, how good does it get? There were all age groups represented and all of them could play and sing. We heard a number of old timey songs that really took TM back to his childhood in East TN. Then there were songs neither of us had ever heard before, so we don't know if they were new or not. One gentleman had written the songs that he sang. We called it gospel music, but I guess the new politcal correct term is praise music. Anyway, they were very good and somewhat emotional - as in make you choke up.
The big surprise was Jackson. Jackson is a youngster who must be between 4 and 6 yrs. old (he still has all his baby teeth). I think he has been on that stage since the Friday after he was born. He can actually play the guitar, not just strum along. He has a sweet little boy voice and knows the words to all the songs. I mean, he rarely missed a beat or a word. Sometimes he got a little distracted, but then he is a little boy. He was so comfortable on stage and around all the adults. We really enjoyed him.
There was one lady that sang. When she came on stage she was coughing and clearing her throat, so we were not expecting great things. She was very good! She did a Patsy Cline song and just did a great job.
The Opry has a drawing each night - actually several. People bake cakes, pies, and banana pudding to be raffled off. (we didn't win anything). Also, they split the money that came in and draw for someone to win half.
I think you get the idea we had a good time and we hope to go back on Friday.
Oh, yeah, Traveling Man was glad to get a big cup of coffee for 50 cents.
Have a good one and God Bless

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really good time!!! How much was the coke? I don't drink coffee ;) I'm so thrilled that y'all are sharing your adventures, thank you! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds as if you are having a great time! I'm really glad and hope you don't decide to stay and join the Opry! The site of the old mansion looks fascinating - I would love to see that! And the horses I have always wanted to see up close - they are beautiful. Glad the man was able to pet one! Take care and continue to keep us posted! Much love,
Barbara