Thursday, April 2, 2009

Florida Southern College

So, we headed over to Lakeland to see the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings at the school there. With our usual foresight, we didn't look anything up on the computer figuring it couldn't be too hard to find. And it isn't, IF you know what you are looking for!
First we stopped at USF (University of South Florida) campus at Lakeland. We were a bit disappointed. Yes, it is a beautiful campus; but there are no FLW buildings there. We did walk a lovely rails-to-trails pathway. TD liked it a lot.
After taking our time there, we decided to check out Historic Downtown Lakeland. On the way I noticed a sign for Florida Southern College, so TM used his turn-around gear and we headed back to the intersection. Sure enough not far way, on a lake, stood several FLW buildings. Amazing.
(Hey, how much difference is there in USF and FSC? Give us a break).
We really enjoyed touring the campus and taking pics of the buildings and the fountain. It is a small campus and really nice. Some of the buildings are needing a little maintenance, but I guess that's true on all campuses. The neat thing is that they are putting up new buildings and are staying the the Wright design.
The lake is really pretty and there are some nice homes around it. There are a couple of beautiful parks.
Now it was time to find lunch. Eventually we ended up at Panera. Well, it just happens that there is a large bead store next to Panera. TM was even willing to stay with TD while I did some shopping. I walked around inside the store practically drooling at all the great stuff they had. But I managed to contain myself and spend less than $30 - mostly because I bought stuff that was on sale.
It was a fun day for us.
God Bless

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And we'll see some of those pics soon?