Tuesday (5/15) was a day on the road. It was a travel day. We packed up our "little spare dog" aka Blackie and headed for Winchester VA. We actually got out of Knoxville at the time we planned! The weather was lovely. Since we had made basically the same trip 3 weeks ago when we went to Culpeper, I decided I really didn't have to pay attention to the scenery and did several crossword puzzles. I actually did look around quite a bit, I am not a total loser. Everything was so brillantly green, so it wasn't exactly like 3 weeks ago when it had not greened up yet.
The dog was pretty good, once he figured out it was a long ride. Of course he had to christen the trip by throwing up his breakfast. We trashed a sheet and a blanket, but got it all cleaned up. Lesson learned - do not feed dog breakfast before leaving on trip.
We did meet Cindy in Christiansburg for lunch. It was nice to see her and she is looking good. We are thankful her heart scare was just that - a scare and everything is fine. We ate and visited for about an hour.
The rest of the trip was without incident until within 1 mile of our exit at Winchester. There was an accident somewhere up ahead and it took us over 30 minutes to make that last mile. The dog got a little restless, but then we did also. We were glad to have found a Best Western that takes pets. The room was nice and there was a nice area for walking dogs.
Wednesday morning we were on the way to Wilmington DE by 9am and planned to get there around 1pm. Didn't happen.
When we realized were were going right by Harpers Ferry National Park, we decided we simply could not do that - we must stop! It is a very interesting place. Guess all we really learned in history class was about John Brown's raid, but Harpers Ferry was a very important place even before the War Between the States. It is at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers. There were 2 armory building there. There was a shipping canal and the railroad went thru. You know me, I could go on and on. I will try to post some photos. It is definitely a place we want to return to. We did not have near enough time to walk around and get the complete history. It is a beautiful place.
We actually did get to Wilmington by 1:40. We had directions to Kim's (Apryl's friend) place and it was easy to find. But we were glad she was waiting on the porch since it made it easier for us. We announce the arrival of her "doggie delivery service". Blackie took right up with Kim. Of course he was pretty courious about the whole place. I really think he was glad to see a real yard. Kim was happy that he was so sweet and friendly. Of course we knew that and had no real doubts. But dogs, like children, can make a liar out of you in a heartbeat! She could hardly wait forher girls to see him. They didn't even know he was coming so it was to be a complete surprise to them. I know he is basking in unending attention! We stayed about 20 minutes and then were on the road again.
Now let me back up a bit here. On Monday, I called Lance and Norma Braun (Apryl's in-laws) about maybe having dinner together on Tuesday night because Winchester is only about 30 or 40 minutes from Woodstock (unless, of course, it takes that long just to go the last mile!). As it turned out, they were leaving Tues. morning for Ocean City MD for 2 or 3 days R&R. Lance called us Wed. morning to let us know where they were staying in Ocean City. So, we called and got reservations at the same hotel. And canceled the ones we had at Exmore, VA.
We got into Ocean City about 5pm and Lance and Norma were waiting on us (I had called when we were about 10 miles out). We checked in, freshened up and headed out to dinner. They had already gotten recommendations of good places to eat over at the harbor. We had a wonderful meal and visit. We got all caught up on everyone's news. We went back to the boardwalk - our hotel was right on the boardwalk - and strolled about for a while. About 9pm, we were all tired so went to our rooms. Our plan was to get up early and see the parade of cars. It turns out there is a hot rod assocation gathering there that started today. Actually, there were hot rods, classic restored cars and just-for-fun cars. I don't think there was a car newer than early 1980"s. Anyone reading this knows that Don was in heaven on earth. I will tell you more about that tomorrow, but now I am going to bed.
Much love and God Bless you all.
1 comment:
Except for the icky start and the slow traffic, sounds like y'all are having a really fun time. I'm glad that you are taking some time out to sleep an hour or two! ;) Take care and keep making it fun!
Love to you both :)
Post a Comment