Sunday, July 6, 2008

A long walk




After a day of rain here in Quebec, Friday was magnificent. The sky was blue, blue, blue with fluffy clouds (but not many). We took a drive around the countryside and it is amazing. Of course the time of year helps too. Everything is so green and since there are no large cities around, the scenery is beautiful. Everyone has flowers, either a flower garden, or hanging baskets on the porch. Every house is like going by a florist.


After driving around for a bit, we headed for Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook (Coaticook Gorge Park). We had determined that we must go see the world's longest suspension footbridge. Anybody else know about that? I sure didn't. The people at the park were so nice and didn't seem to mind that we only spoke English. We paid our fee and started out the trail. After just a short way on the dirt path, we came to stairs. whereupon Mama Traveler sat right down and refused to move! Ok, so it wasn't that bad, but she did feel that climbing the stairs would be too hard on her knees and she should just wait on us. So Traveling Man and I tramped on. it really wasn't that far to the bridge once you climbed the stairs (puff, puff). The gorge is quite deep, but there is hardly any water flowing because of daming. We - both of us - walked across the bridge. Is everyone proud of me? It was a little scary, but I persevered. The view was certainly worth it. We continued on the trail to find the observation tower. It is such a lovely park. TM went up the observation tower (90 stairs) and I went to the dam overlook. TM got some great photos of the scenery. He also said that tower needs major repair (rebuilding) or it will soon collapse. I got some good photos of the dam and the river and the abandoned factory.


As we went on around to get back to Mamma Traveler, we came to an area where we held on to a rope because it was so steep going down. We were double glad she had not come.


Afterwards we all went into the gift shop to get something to drink and headed back home. It was a great day.


God Bless

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! You walked across the entire bridge?!? I am impressed. You're so adventurous these days:)

Mike said...

Thanks for your interesting way of telling us about your trip and the things you see. I stumbled across your blog and I enjoy reading of your adventures. Keep up the good work.