It was very smoky when we left Savannah, GA. on Monday morning. The smoke was from the fires inland. We were concerned about the drive - that we might be re-routed or that the smoke would be with us all the way. Lucky for us (and a good part of GA and FL) we ran out of it within about an hour.
We had an uneventful drive to St. Augustine. There we stopped for a few hours. We went to the Fountain of Youth. Just wait til you see how young we look now!! It is a nice park and there is still a good bit of archeological digging going on. We got there just as a tour was starting. Our guide took us first to a building where they project a picture of a 2-story high globe and show the routes of the early explorers. From there we went to a planatarium where they explained how to follow the stars and the actual star arrangements when Ponce de Leon was navigating to Florida. Do you remember that when Ponce de Leon claimed Florida for the Spanish, he actually was claiming the continent? Ready for the USF = United States of Florida?
Then we went to still another building and saw the fountain. Of course it is set to where you cannot actually get to the fountain, but they are happy to pour you a drink. I actually took a sip of the nasty stuff. It is sulfur water and has plenty of sulfur in it. In front of the fountain is the stones imbedded in the soil to form a cross. This was discovered by a gardener and is further proof of Ponce de Leon having claimed this area.
Our guide had told us that the Rhea they have in a pen is very friendly and likes to be petted. Not an ostrich, not an emu, but a rhea. So I just had to go pet her. She was so soft and just as sweet as we were told. When I walked away, she followed along the fence as if she wanted to be petted more. We walked around the park just enjoying the flowers and trees for a while.
When we left, we were hungry. (What else is new?) So we went looking for the restaurant where we ate the last time we were in St. Augustine. Found it too. It really wasn't hard as it is just across the street from the Spanish fort. It is called the White Lion and the food is good and it is pleasant sitting on the patio.
The 1st time we went to St. Augustine we visited the Spanish fort, ate lunch and went to Sheila's.
This time we visited the Fountain of Youth, ate lunch and went to Sheila's.
Next time I hope to visit the museum (eat lunch and go to Sheila's).
At this rate we will be going to St. Augustine often - which really isn't a bad thing.
We spent the night at Sheila's, so Don was able to take Mary to school the next day. Tuesday was Mary's birthday so I gave her 1 gift that morning.
Her focus was not really her birthday, but getting thru finals and getting her driver's license.
When Don got back we ate breakfast, read the paper and headed for Orlando.
(((Hugs)))
1 comment:
It sounds like you had a wonderful day! And I thought you looked younger when I saw you!! Now I know why and I'm going to have find a way to get to St. Augustine for some of that nasty water ;)
I really enjoyed this installment and can't wait for the next one!
Take care and make it a fun day!
Love you :)
Post a Comment