
We went over to Elsworth AFB to check out their Air and Space Museum. TM was sure pleased with the number of airplanes they had on display. There was a B1B and a B-52. The B-52 had AGM-28 pylons under wings with bombs attached. First time we have seen one on display rigged like that. That particular pylon arrangement was the idea of someone he worked with at McCoy. It was used in Nam. If you look closely at the BUFF you can see why they were sometimes called "Ole Wrinkle Belly" or "One Million Rivets Flying in Loose Formation")Inside, guess what!, there was a gift shop. Did a lot of looking there and there was some pretty interesting stuff. They must have been real interested in it because the prices kept me from buying.
There was a display of pictures of Elsworth when it first opened as Rapid City Army Air Force Station. There were several uniforms on display. A really nice display about the Berlin Air Lift. I found that particularly interesting. And a lot about the Berlin wall.
These places really choke me up when I realize what people went thru during the wars. And especially how compassionate the American people are. Also how generous. And thinking of the people who died and those wounded-in body and mind- and what their families were faced with.
OK, I am not going to get on that soapbox.
We continued on base to go to the Base Exchange. TM went to customer service to cash a check while I started loading stuff in my basket. We did find a good many things we could use (notice I didn't say needed) and were glad to have. When I checked out, I wrote my check over the amt so I could get cash back. Didn't realize (or have forgotten) that since he had already cashed a check, I wasn't supposed to get cash back. Lucky for me the manager was accommodating and ok'ed it.
It was good to hear later in the day that our niece, Amanda, and her children have arrived back in the US from New Zealand. Everybody safe and sound and tired. Might throw a little stress in there too.
As of right now all is well with us.
God Bless
No comments:
Post a Comment