Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Whales!

What a perfect, lovely day - and exciting.
Traveling Man and I went whale watching. We boarded the Dolphin VI in Provincetown at 12:30p and headed out to the Stellwen Banks. The boat was pretty full, but still plenty of room for everyone. The naturalist (what do you call a whale expert?) started his patter about safety and then about different kinds of whales and what we might see, yada, yada. He took about 1/2 hour and most of it was interesting.
Less than 1 hour out, we spotted our first whale. It was kind of quick, as we caught it just as it got ready to dive. Then we spotted a big one over on the starboard side (nautical language, eh?) that just seemed to be having a good time. He was really quite a ways off, but was big enough that we got a good look. He jumped out of the water about 4 times - just after the naturalist told us that the whales seldom actually jump. Then he was rolling around sticking his fins in the air. Eventually he did show us his tail and went diving.
Then we happened upon a mother and calf. They seemed to be just meandering along (taking the baby for a "walk", I guess) and stayed near the boat for a while.
Another mother and calf appeared and we watched them for some time. They began going under the prow (more nautical) and coming up on the other side. They were so close that TM even got some good pics of them underwater. I guess they did this about 4 times before mamma finally showed her tail and they wandered off.
Our "3-hour tour" was very successful and we have ordered the DVD of our tour. Hopefully we can upload it so everyone gets to see.
We also saw seals and many birds.
We came back to port tired and happy, which is what I can say for everyone that went, I am sure.
We had taken jackets for fear the wind would be cold on the open upper deck, but the day was so nice, I never even needed mine. I did keep sunblock slathered on and doesn't look like I got any burn. Ya-hoo!
It was most definitely one of our best days so far this trip.
God Bless

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That just sounds TOO fun. I'm glad that it was such a perfect day. I'm anxious to see the photos (and the DVD)

Anonymous said...

Yay! What kind of whales were you seeing? I, too, am anxious to see the pictures and the DVD!!! Keep on making it fun!!!

Love to all,
Mellan :)